As I mentioned in some of the sessions of my program, when we transitioned to a vegan diet back in 2005, it was not as easy as it is now. Now, there are so many choices! Now it appears that the vegan diet is mainstream! Every day I see new foods, new recipes, new restaurants, and increased happiness with eating just plants! It is so exciting!
More and more people want clean, safe food. We want to know where our food comes from.
35% of consumers associate eating plants with a healthy lifestyle (yes right!) while 23% of consumers associate veganism with animal welfare. See session #10 for more information on animal welfare. Numbers of environmental vegans are harder to pin down.
Consider a few other statistics:
- Esteemed Dr. Greger writes “The number of articles on plant-based diets published in the peer-reviewed medical literature rose 19 percent in 2014”
- 36% of US consumers prefer non-dairy milk alternatives such as soy, almond, flax, rice, and coconut milk
- Between 26-41% of Americans are eating less meat. Bon Appetit magazine named AL’s Place in San Francisco the best new restaurant of 2015. Meat based dishes at AL’s Place are listed as “sides”
- More people are expecting food manufactures to contribute to our communities with socially positive actions. Companies that promote a vegan lifestyle are not typically exploitative, polluting companies but socially conscious, clean business ventures
- More people are interested in the environmental aspects of eating a vegan diet and are concerned about our planet and childrens’ future. See session #11 for more information on this important topic
- More people are interested in foods from around the world with a variety of spices and flavors which naturally lend themselves to plant based cooking
- According to Wikipedia, during the 2010’s, vegan diets became more mainstream with more restaurants, more vegan foods at the grocery store, more faux meats, and plant based milks. “The mock-meats market increased by 18% between 2005 and 2010, and in the UK the plant milk market increased by 155% in two years, from 36 million liters in 2011 to 92 million in 2013”. Even the number of page views of veganism increased almost 200% between 2009 and 2013
- The United Nations has declared 2016 the International Year of Pulses to raise consumer awareness of the nutritional and environmental benefits of the edible dry seeds such as lentils, beans, peas
- Social media analytics also reflect the mainstreaming of veganism. Vegan and vegetarian social media content were mentioned 4.3 million times in 90 days vs. Coke’s 4.1 million times. Wow!
- Traditional restaurants like Applebee’s; Baskin Robbins; Bennigan’s; Burger King; Cheesecake Factory; Chipotle; Dairy Queen (!!!); Denny’s; IHOP; Papa John’s P.F. Chang’s; Red Robin; Subway, White Castle, and many more are expanding their vegan, plant-based options. Do not be afraid to ask restaurant servers to accommodate your vegan, plant based choices
Transitioning a whole food, plant based healthy lifestyle has been the best thing I have even done. I could never go back. After 10+ years it has become simply who I am. No one blinks, complains, or hassles me anymore. Eating plants has become mainstream. There are so many of us who are expanding our repertoire of safe, delicious, clean green foods. Why don’t you take the risk of feeling fabulous and go vegan?